Ding! Ding! Let the IUI Games Begin!!!

 So here is a rundown of how my "dramatic" IUI games began.

First of all, a little education on what IUI means.  Basically, it is artificial insemination.  There are 3 types of IUI: natural (no drugs), Clomid cycle (pills you take to help ovulation), and Gonal F (lovely shots you take in your stomach).  Once you are are "ready" to ovulate, your hubbie shows up in the morning to turn in his swimmers (I will leave it at that).  The "hopeful" mommy to be shows up in the middle of the day.  Then, you have a romantic interlude with your fertility doctor, his nurse, and your husband in the doctor's office wide awake where the swimmers are transferred into the uterus. It is super intimate...NOT!!!  You wait 10-14 days, and then you take a prego test.  Easy right...maybe for some, but for me, not so much. 

So here is my first IUI rendezvous...

Round 1:
Players involved:
  • In corner #1: Clomid - serious "Cray-Cray" pills
  • In corner #2: Gonal F - super expensive injections in tummy
  • In corner #3: Follicles - your baby eggs
  • In corner #4: Cysts - my future worst nightmare....not really, but they are not kind
Game prep:
Doctor sits you down and reviews your plan. You and the hubbie meet with a nurse to get meds training. (I plan on doing a different blog for the shots and the Clomid...that is a completely separate story.) You do this before your menstrual cycle starts and call doctor on days 1-3.
 
Game plan:
  • Day 1-3, get a sonogram.
  • Days 5-14ish - gonal F and Clomid
  • Day 15ish - trigger shot
  • Day 16 - IUI
  • 10 days later...positive pregnancy test. 
I am ready to do battle..."May the odds be ever in your favor", says my trainer/doctor (had to put it in there...love the Hunger Games and wouldn't it be cool if he really said that)

Ding! Round 1:
I am up...my sonograms are positive, cysts were annoying but not causing any huge threat, and I was producing follicles.  I am winning!!!  

The challenger steps up their mean game....I was doing TOO well at producing follicles.  The day before the IUI, my doctor pulled me in to let me know that they were stopping the cycle.  I had 10 large follicles that could be fertilized...and he is not trying to make me "Deca-Mom".  He explained that he is not going to be irresponsible, which I did respect.

The comeback...So, I was thinking, no worries...we just try the old fashion way at home, right?!?!

Slap Down...."No way", says Dr.  "You have to promise me you will not have any relations with the hubbie...don't even think about it". 

The Let Down....I am not a good loser.  I pouted.  Of course, I thought about it.  Wouldn't you?  But, I am a fighter and I am going to stay the course.

To be continued....




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not right now...

Clomid Rage...it is Real!!!

I am back!