Endometri...what?!?! Part 1

Fast forward from my last blog on the birds and the bees to 2009. 

Jeff and I had just gotten married, and we were enjoying the honeymoon stage...if you know what I mean.  I started to notice that intercourse was really painful.  I ignored it and just thought it would go away.  A couple months later, the pain was still there, so Jeff suggested I go see the doctor. 

I was super embarrassed to talk to the doctor about my painful sex life, especially since he was a dude.  My doctor at the time was a young guy that tries to make awkward checkups more comfortable by using humor.  He is the doctor that calls our lady part a "va-j-j"..seriously, not kidding.  The visits were always short and to the point which at this stage in life I appreciated, since I have never felt really comfortable about anything that involved my lady parts.  Many of you know how modest I am.

So, I go in and he talks to me for awhile.  I have to describe exactly the pain I was feeling in excruciating detail.  Then, he examines me.  Sorry to be so graphic, but he applies pressure during the examination and I literally shriek in pain.  He asked me if I have ever felt that kind of pain in any of my examinations.  I think back, and reply yes.  I mean...isn't that part of the examination.  Nobody told me that was abnormal. 

So, here is how our conversation "kinda" went from there...

Doctor Funny Guy: So, in addition to your "va-j-j" hurting during relations with the ball and chain, do you have severe cramps?

Me: Yes.  I have had them most of my life.

Doctor Funny Guy: Describe them.

Me: Double over in pain from them.  Sometimes they are so bad I end up vomiting.  I have severe lower back pain, also. 

Doctor Funny Guy: Do you feel this before your "Aunt Flow" visits?

Me: Yes, I start cramping about a week before I start. 

Doctor Funny Guy: Interesting...I am pretty sure you have what is called "endometriosis"...let me know when you are ready to schedule your laparoscopy.

Me: ENODMETRI...WHAT?!?!?  What the heck is that?

Doctor Funny Guy:  Endometriosis is non curable disease that can prevent pregnancy.  Here is a pamphlet. See ya in surgery! 
(Doctor Funny Guy leaves room).

To the doctor's credit, my doctor stayed a longer to answer some questions...but not much longer.  Again, up until this point in my girl doctor visits, this has worked for me because I have never had anything out of the ordinary.

He leaves and I am thinking...what the heck just happened?  First of all, what is endometriosis, what is a laparoscopy (could barely pronounce it), and I have to schedule surgery?!? 

So, I am in my car, while just finding out I have a disease called "endometriosis".  I call Jeff crying saying I have to have surgery, and I will probably die since I have a noncurable disease.  Not really, but seriously, still have no clue.  I have not had surgery since I was 6 to get my tonsils out. 

I get home and look at the pamphlet.  The pamphlet tells me that endometriosis is basically implants that cling on to your female organs - ovaries, fallopian tubes, etc.  Most of the symptoms are around your menstrual cycle which include: severe cramping before and during, lower back pain, and painful intercourse.  Check, check and check.  Why had I not caught this before?  Why have I never in my life heard about this?  I guess I thought that was just part of being a girl. 

There are several ways to "control" these crazy implants: birth control, pregnancy, laparoscopy, or hysterectomy.  Of course, me being super freaked out thinks life is over and already see myself having to undergo a hysterectomy.  But, I do want kids one day.  God, did you not get the memo that my I had changed my mind about kids?

Let me back up for a second...I was the girl in my 20's who was indifferent about having kids.  It was not that I never saw them in my future, but definitely not dying to have a little one.  Also, I was a little freaked out by them and thought of them as life changers: taking away all the freedom you once had.  I saw my friends have kids and their ability to make plans was now so much harder.  They had to schedule their jobs and lives around kids.  When I turned 30 and then later met Jeff, my attitude changed.  I really could see my life with Jeff and little Jeffy's running around.  How could I not try to pro-create with such a hottie like my husband? 

So, when all this went down, we had just gotten married.  We were dating and engaged for a "hot minute", so I really wanted the first year to be just me and him without trying to have a baby.   We decided to proceed with surgery versus trying to get prego, and my Doctor thought I was way past the option of just trying out birth control.

So, I called my doctor's office to schedule my laparoscopic surgery.  My next entry will tell you how everything went down. 

Comments

  1. You seriously crack me up. I know this is serious hard stuff, but the way you write is so YOU and so funny. Situation NOT funny, but the Lord has given you a gift to make these subjects easier to digest with your humor, kind of like your doctor.:-) I have heard about endemetriosis for years, but NEVER knew what it really was or what the symptoms were until I read your post.

    Anyway, I just want you to know that I am praying for you. The Lord brings you to mind quite often. This week I read 2 verses in my BSF notes that immediately brought you to mind to pray for...

    1. Genesis 18:14...Is there anything too hard for the Lord?...

    2. Luke 1:37....For nothing is impossible with God.

    I love both of these...very simple but HUGE!!! Praying for you sweet friend... that the Lord comforts you greatly with His Word, and that you know Him in an even greater and more precious way than you could ever imagine through this. Keep writing...Blessings...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not right now...

Clomid Rage...it is Real!!!

I am back!