Endometri...what?!?! Part 2

My laparoscopic surgery was done at an out patient hospital.   

Two days prior to my surgery, I had to do pre-op where they take your blood and give you the run down of what is about to happen.  On the day of the surgery, I checked in around 9:00 and my surgery was set for 11:00.  I signed my life away and paid a hefty little fee for what my not so great insurance would not cover.

I am going to take a quick detour for a second because I thought this was pretty cool.  At the time, it was 2009 and the recession was in full swing and my industry got hit really hard.  I was a straight commission sales rep., so needless to say, I was not rolling in the dough.   When I found out that this surgery was going to cost me over $1200, I was not totally sure of the timing.  Jeff assured me to not worry and that is why we have savings.  One week prior to my surgery, I randomly get a bonus check for guess how much?!?!?  You guessed right (of if you didn't, no need to admit it)...right over $1200!!!  I seriously had forgotten about this bonus and was totally blown away of how this was not a coincidence that it was EXACTLY what we needed at the EXACT right time.  God always provides.   

Ok...I am back to the story.  A nurse comes out to lead me to the pre-op room and I am a little nervous.  BTW...my whole family was in tow.  Jeff (obviously), my mom, and my dad and Courtney came for this momentous occasion.  I get to the room and there is a lovely gown and these really cool knee socks that help with circulation (which the nurse let me keep...why not? I just paid $1200 for them).   The best part is when they put me under all the blankets and they were super toasty.

Now the part I hate/love all together...anesthesia.  I hate when they put it in the IV, but LOVE how you get to sleep!!!  Warning...if you ever get anesthesia make sure you ask them for anti-nausea medicine if you think you might get sick.  The worst is getting sick off the anesthesia...I have haunting memories from my tonsils and wisdom teeth when I was little.

So, off I go to the OR and Dr. Funny Guy asks if I had my cocktails yet to make me pass out, and I am not sure what I said, but I was out for the count.  Hope I didn't snore (if you were a medical sales rep and in the room...I do not want to know). 

During the procedure, Dr. Funny Guy cuts a small incision about an inch below my panty line and goes up with a scope to hunt down all the unwanted endometriosis implants.  Once he identifies the implants, he burns them off.   He even threw in a dye test which tests to make sure liquid runs properly through my fallopian tubes.  I am so thankful to him for doing that while I was under because that is one of the first tests they make you do while undergoing fertility...and you are not asleep and can be SUPER uncomfortable. 

I wake up super groggy.  Dr. Funny Guy tells my husband that my recovery time is a couple of days and I should be back to work no problem.  Dr. Funny Guy also proceeded to pull Jeff to the side to say that, "I am sure you are wondering when you can 'do the adult' with your wife.   Please know you will need to wait a couple of weeks (wink, wink)."  Jeff said he was completely red faced and humiliated in front of my parents (as he was certain they knew what Dr. Funny Guy so obviously pulled him aside from the group to tell him in private).  As hot I as I was in my hospital gown, drooling from my deep sleep, and knee socks, I am pretty sure he was not really thinking that he wanted to get on me anytime in the near future.

I WISH the recovery had been as simple and short as my doctor had told us.  Unfortunately, mine was a slower recovery.  I could not sit up straight for 3 days.  I do not think I was able to get off my pain meds for 5 days after my surgery which prevented me from driving, hence prohibited me from going back to work.  Doctor Funny Guy way underplayed the recovery...which I have talked to others that have had similar procedures and like recovery times.  

My mom stayed with me for the next couple of days and took care of me.  So awesome.  I highly recommend someone staying at home with you during the recovery.  Especially, if you have little ones running around.  Do not be a martyr...ask family/friends for help.  
  
The worst and most humiliating part was that my sweet husband had to go pick up an enima for me.  Apparently, the drugs caused this little problem.  This is super terrifying admitting this to the world, but I am putting it all out there, right?!?!?!   Not sure which is worse, telling you guys OR telling your brand new husband.  Jeff and I do not talk bathroom stuff...I find no humor in it and to his knowledge I never go to the bathroom.  Hence, it was pretty bad for me to admit that I needed him to go to the pharmacy for me for this particular purpose.  This actually didn't even work after all the humiliation.  My doctor told me to get this disgusting purple liquid medicine, drink the entire bottle and wait...and lets just say it was a very long and uncomfortable 6-8 hours.

Anyways, I tell you all of this in case you have to experience the wrath of endometriosis.  It was certainly eye opening for me.  Apparently, the endometriosis has about 12-18 months after a laproscopy before it comes back.  In my case, it stayed away for about a year before I felt the symptoms coming back. 

So take aways from all of this:
  1. Know the facts about endometriosis:
    1. Symptoms include:
      1. Severe cramps before and during menstrual cycle
      2. Excessive bleeding during menstrual cycle
      3. Lower back pain
      4. Painful intercourse
      5. Infertility
    2. See your doctor if you have these symptoms...they are NOT normal!!!
    3. It is noncurable, however there are methods to control:
      1. birth control
      2. laproscopy
      3. having a baby
    4. You can have a baby!!!  Many people have a baby with this prognosis.
  2. You are not alone!  After I discovered I had endometriosis, so many other admitted they had it, too.  Funny, how I had never heard of endometriosis, and next thing I know 30% of my friends know someone or have it themselves. 
Love you all - thanks for letting me share this "lovely experience" with you.

Happy Belated Valentines.
N

Comments

  1. N-
    Thank you so much for having the courage to tell your story! And for sharing it. I will be praying daily that you have peace on this journey, that everyday you are shown reminders of all the parts of your body that are working perfectly and that your faith stays strong. Also, I couldn't agree more about the "to his knowledge I never go to the bathroom" part so if you ever need someone to run to the pharmacy for you - I'm your girl!
    love and blessings
    Mecca

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not right now...

Clomid Rage...it is Real!!!

I am back!